1. Name of service being provided:
YOPS ( Young Orchestral Pops) Orchestra
2. Nature of service and principles to safeguard children from harm
(brief outline of what our service is, what we do and our commitment to safeguard children)
The YOPS Orchestra offers students the opportunity to play film music traditional music and popular classics and to perform concerts in public, and for the senior orchestra to travel overseas on concert tours .
We are committed to a child centred approach to our work with children and young people. We undertake to provide a safe environment and experience, where the welfare of the child/young person is paramount.
3. Risk Assessment
We have carried out an assessment of any potential for harm to a child while availing of our services. Below is a list of the areas of risk identified and the list of procedures for managing these risks.
|#||Risk identified||Procedure in place to manage risk identified|
|1||Bullying in the orchestra||Code of practice for children in place.
Staff and volunteers aware of need to report any bullying behaviour to the Music Director.
|2||Failure to respond to report of abuse in children||Training for all staff and volunteers on how to respond to a disclosure.|
|3||Failure to recognise abuse in children||Training for all staff and volunteers on recognising abuse in children.|
|4||Have children in an unsafe environment||Ensure all staff and volunteers are aware of need to operate in a safe environment.|
|5||Failure to report abuse to Tusla||Ensure that the designated person if fully aware of the process to report on any abuse.|
Our Child Safeguarding Statement has been developed in line with requirements under the Children First Act 2015, Children First: National Guidance for the Protection and Welfare of Children (2017), and Tusla’s Child Safeguarding: A Guide for Policy, Procedure and Practice. In addition to the procedures listed in our risk assessment, the following procedures support our intention to safeguard children while they are availing of our service:
- Procedure for the management of allegations of abuse or misconduct against workers/volunteers of a child availing of our service;
- Procedure for the safe recruitment and selection of workers and volunteers to work with children;
- Procedure for provision of child safeguarding training and information, including the identification of the occurrence of harm;
- Procedure for the reporting of child protection or welfare concerns to Tusla;
- Code of Behaviour for Staff/Volunteers
- Code of Behaviour for Children
- Appointing a Designated Liaison person.
- All procedures listed are available upon request.
We recognise that implementation is an on-going process. Our service is committed to the implementation of this Child Safeguarding Statement and the procedures that support our intention to keep children safe from harm while availing of our service.This Child Safeguarding Statement will be reviewed on 28th February 2020, or as soon as practicable after there has been a material change in any matter to which the statement refers.
Signed: Kitty Dalligan, YOPS Artistic Director [Phone: 087-2390901]
For queries, please contact Kitty Dalligan Relevant Person under the Children First Act 2015.